Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Brief Recap: Google UX MasterClass

My friends are starting to think I sound like a broken record because every time I come back from an event and they ask me how it was I always say something like “It was awesome! You really missed out!” Even with that said, I will still not make an exception this time around and I will go ahead and iterate those very words when it comes to describing the Google UX MasterClass event which went down this past weekend because as you guessed it…Yes! It was awesome! If you weren’t there you really missed out!


But I am that person. That guy! So instead of just telling you how awesome it was, I thought it would even be better if I showed you. I didn’t have time to go about taking a bunch of photos as the two day event was fully packed with marvelous activities. However, I hope that the few that I have will go a long way in providing the 1000 words that this post will obviously not have.





To say I learnt a lot from the MasterClass would be an understatement. Ben Davies and Masumi Matsumoto went all out to teach us and guide us through the UX process. I will share with you some of the things I learnt in subsequent posts. Among the lessons were the fundamentals of UX, paper prototyping which I somehow talked about in this post, personas, card sorting and prototyping using Balsamiq Mockups (See the images below).

              
The class couldn’t have come at a better time for me because having gone through my internship at the  +iHub UX Lab at the +iHub made the lessons so much easier to understand. 




And for once I felt that mind blowing sense of satisfaction those virtuoso kids in lectures feel when they know answers to most of the questions that the teachers had. While some of us were left wondering where they got all that information! You feel me!





The lessons, the team work, the materials, the talks, the networking, the attendees, the energy, the freebies, the food and the cocktails were all something to write home about! If I could do it again, I would. Prior to the Nairobi edition, the same was held in Cape Town and after ours it will going down in Lagos this week. So I was just wondering if I can still catch a flight. No?


I am already looking forward to the next one which will definitely be bigger and better!


#HappyDays

No comments:

Post a Comment